View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Jul 31 14, 2014 1:22 am

Kevin's 1989 CRX SI Build thread 

Post Re: Kevin's 1989 CRX SI Build thread
All right guys. I'm back fully refreshed and ready to rock and roll. For anyone not in the know I went down to miami to pickup my b16 swap but the catch was I have to get it out of this awesome showtegra. Today the swap got started I lifted the car up disconnected everything fuel line, injectors electrical connections, and all the other stuff. Tomorrow axles and mounts and the engine is coming out. From there I have to redo all the gaskets and. I'm going to replace the clutch while I have it out and it's easy to get to along with the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket cam seal gasket, timing belt, and finally a valve adjustment. Then from there, get it in teh crx and drive the hell out of it this spring.

Dec 02 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Update Engine is out!!!

Feb 23 13, 2013 7:46 pm

What do you drive?: 3090lbs car
B-Series pawwa!!

Feb 25 13, 2013 8:38 am

Damn right it's about time!!!

Day 2 working on the crx.the integra hubs new bearings and energybsuspension bushings and brakes are in and bolted ready to roll and on the car damn the rotor size difference is nuts 2 inches bigger also upgraded to the integras 22 mm front sway bar which is literally double that size of the tiny crx one. Tried to bolt the wheels on to get it rollng to powerwash the engine bay but the factory lug nuts dont want to thread on to the extended studs luckily HPT ordered up some muteki nuts on friday so we should be good to roll Monday or Tuesday. Clean the bay install the integra brake master cylinder, booster, and 40/40 prop valve tomorrow and sometime next week she should be alive and kicking I hope.

Feb 25 13, 2013 6:22 pm

More pics. Got the B16 loaded up and dropped at HPT Autosport. Scott is going to be installing a few choice parts. B18C5 Type R Cams with the upgraded valve springs, Type R Flywheel for a lighter OEM Replacement. An Exedy stage 1 clutch, an LS 5th gear to keep the rpm's down on freeway speeds. all of the wear and tear items are being replaced also. 1 more week countdown.

Mar 05 13, 2013 11:22 pm

What do you drive?: Double-u Argh Ex
Sweet. Lookin' good Kevin.

Mar 06 13, 2013 2:05 am
Profile View user's Garage  

Thanks andy where the hell you been hiding out man? Last time I saw you left the honda world and went to subies how's that venture going?

Mar 06 13, 2013 9:13 am

What do you drive?: Double-u Argh Ex
I been under the radar. Cars took a back seat this last year since I been more into guns and stuff. Subie's are hellafun man, but nothing will ever replace the love for Hondas! After I'm done with training for the Army and get stationed somewhere I wanna buy another Honda for sure. I need a Honda in my life, no matter how fun the Subie is.

Mar 06 13, 2013 4:32 pm

So this is long overdue...

B16a is in it's not earth shattering but it feels great way faster than the d series it had especially after 5500 rpm.

Stripped the interior out and was going to keep it this way but I figured I'd still want to daily it so it stayed. Took this opportunity to clean out all the pieces that go under the plastic very well so it was all nice and shiny just to be covered by dull plastic again lulz.

whilst messing with installing the crx SI Rear Sway bar a bunch of nuisances popped up. that I'll just let the pics explain

in process

Installed. All that work for this. : l

After I got all that mess done and over with time for a pair of New Shoes. :)

And that's what I've been up to the last 4 months.

Nov 14 13, 2013 2:09 pm

So I'm back a few events have occurred and ive just been lazy to update my build thread was in between selling it and finishing it like always but the market just isnt where I would like to let the car go for. So here we go driving around the crx and just been doing daily status unfortunately I was content with it knowing that even though it had so much done to it it was a basically stock car power wise b16s stock aren't really impressive but I was just kind of stuck in a rut with it. I had a daily driver civic that I sold for an integra than offed the integra for an automatic miata for the girlfriend yes I know stupidest car ever but its really neat except for that one glaringly big problem of being a slushbox.

So back onto the crx I went to the wncrides dyno day and had so much hope only to be crashed down to reality. 97 hp and 74 lb ft of torque. Now the car still sits untuned and has all factory parts even the tiny crx hf piping literally 3/4 of an inch of piping. So.... I figured lets just keep throwing money at it. Makes sense right? So i had been searching around for an exhaust for the crx. Every damn thing I found was a fart cannon or sounded like complete ass. I yearned for the super awesome 90s style exhausts but everything was discontinued. Well long story short hks which is about as old school as japanese tuning gets still makes their high power exhausts for civics but oddly not crxs. I figured how stupid they are the same thing well....

[youtube]http://youtu.be/HGyDIABUBlw[/youtube]

Thats where things got annoying. Super excited to get it on and realized somewhere down the line that I was missing a cat converter and the piping was waaay off. So I ordered magnaflow catalytic converter to avoid the headache of having a test pipe and replacing it with the cat when I had to get it inspected in may again.

Fitment: so the civic was longer so I had to hack into my new exhaust to get it to fit. I took it to a muffler shop since I cant weld and my big order of hacking my exhaust to 3 different pieces was fixed by fresh set of eyes. Turns out I just had to cut the pipe after the resonator and it fit!

Thanks to this being quite literally the quietest exhaust ever made for a honda coupled with a catalytic converter the crx sounds absolutely nothing like you wpuld expect from a honda its damn near whisper quiet which I'm glad/slightly miffed about I was hoping for some noise. Oh and I ended up gaining back some power not sure how much but the car used to stumble when you floored it now its smooth and the stumble is almost gone I attribute the rest of it to the lack of tuning. Up next more bolt on and a tooooon! !!
Nice picture just cause

Last edited by Kevin A. Parra on Mar 19 14, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mar 18 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Rpf's look good Kevin :cool: You gonna go the all motor route or gonna boost?

Mar 18 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Good stuff! That 97 HP is an eye opener!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mar 19 14, 2014 7:24 am

Something is wrong there. Thats the kinda power I didn with my b16a on my 1st pull (with stock cams)and we realized vtec wasnt kicking it. I had never had vtec before and the motor has a natural vtecish sound so I thought it was, you may want to double check that. I did 132WHP on a mustang dyno with a stock b16a out of a delsol with intake and exhaust. Tune gave me 144WHP and helped throttle respone and the whole powerband.

Mar 19 14, 2014 8:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGyDIABUBlw

So I gave up trying to make this work on this site. Here is the dyno day video it sounds like vtec crosses over fine? Idk I'm sure that it's a myriad of things. Fuel Pump is the biggest ? I have to replace that also before I get it on the dyno again. Was going to go with a Mkiv supra pump since most people recommend that way over the walboro for quiet and oem style reliability? Ideas? at the absolute most this car will be supercharged but that's so far down the road it's almost laughable to mention it.

Mar 19 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Nah I dont hear vtec. that is the same "vtecish" natural b16a sound that I was hearing that I thought was vtec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1UbkHLXt0
listen at :58 secs in when vtec activates there is almost like a pause. I bet if you could go back that sound you are hearing is right at about 5200-5300 where the natural trq to hp cross.

or this 1 at 1:32 in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67y1xTZYSIM
you can definately hear a tone change.

plus your numbers are too low. theyre right at where my b16a hit without vtec. mine was someone had wired the vafc but had never finished it so it wasnt wired in.

Mar 20 14, 2014 8:12 am

Ive never ran vtak before so I will ask... These things will still rev out, with no vtec engagement, and provide no CEL or anything?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mar 20 14, 2014 10:05 am

Apparently so. Because mine has no cells and revs all the way to 8250 josh I forgot to mention I'm running a stock intake too so maybe thats why its not as loud as the 2 you showed me. Im pretty sure it is working for 1 reason if you look at the graph its still climbing and thats where most of the horsepower is coming from 5000 and up.

UPDATE: I spoke with the shop owner and he told me that he uploaded the wrong map when he dynoed me because i was first car on the dyno.I'm pretty damn pissed but happy that maybe the numbers are off I know they cant be more than 20hp off but as long as I can break triple digits that would be fine lol I'm currently waiting for to do an intake manifold and a throttle body. Back and forth on an oem type r manifold ported out by a local shop owner thats a friend of mine or skunk 2 hardware. Opinions?

Mar 20 14, 2014 8:38 pm

ddwelch wrote:
Ive never ran vtak before so I will ask... These things will still rev out, with no vtec engagement, and provide no CEL or anything?

yeah the engine doesnt have anything to "check" vtec it only has ways to turn it off if something else is messing up. You can run on the low cam only forever and not get a cel.

Kevin A. Parra wrote:
Apparently so. Because mine has no cells and revs all the way to 8250 josh I forgot to mention I'm running a stock intake too so maybe thats why its not as loud as the 2 you showed me. Im pretty sure it is working for 1 reason if you look at the graph its still climbing and thats where most of the horsepower is coming from 5000 and up.

UPDATE: I spoke with the shop owner and he told me that he uploaded the wrong map when he dynoed me because i was first car on the dyno.I'm pretty damn pissed but happy that maybe the numbers are off I know they cant be more than 20hp off but as long as I can break triple digits that would be fine lol I'm currently waiting for to do an intake manifold and a throttle body. Back and forth on an oem type r manifold ported out by a local shop owner thats a friend of mine or skunk 2 hardware. Opinions?

Did he say what the map was for that he loaded wrong? when are you gonna go in and get it switched out?
Which skunk 2 are you looking at the pro or the new alpha? If its the alpha then I would go that way. If its the pro then it doesnt really matter because the pro is just a bigger copy of the R. Depending on how they port it then the R maybe better. Like if they smooth out the runners and transitions it theoretically will flow better. If you can get the alpha, Its actually a very modern design. Its the same style that all the supercars use which are from f1 technology.

Mar 21 14, 2014 7:46 am

Since he fucked up, are you gonna get a free dyno session??

Mar 21 14, 2014 9:53 am

I wish he just told me that he would let me get 3 more pulls on the dyno for free on the next dyno day. So before then I'm going to do all the bolt ons.

Josh isnt the alpha too much for a street setup?

Mar 21 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Kevin A. Parra wrote:
I wish he just told me that he would let me get 3 more pulls on the dyno for free on the next dyno day. So before then I'm going to do all the bolt ons.

Josh isnt the alpha too much for a street setup?

What are you using to tune it? You should atleast go by and get him to check to make sure vtec is set to engage. He might have loaded a ls tune on it.

I said alpha I meant ultra (sorry, theres no alpha IM) but no they make a street Ultra mani. The runners are the same as the pro but the ultra has the built in velocity stack at the top and the top chamber flows better helping to get the same volume to each runner. its still between 300-400 tho. I know it has a 68mm throttle body bore I dont know if that messes with working with the original TB. might wanna look into that.

Mar 22 14, 2014 9:14 am

Tuning on crome or Neptune. I will look further into the lack of vtec issue. Im not 100% sure that's what it is but ill need to make sure and ill get a good video again on the right side to make sure the noise is comin on at 525000hc rpm like it should.

Mar 22 14, 2014 9:20 pm